Looking for a healthy, easy and delicious dinner on the grill? Here’s one of my favorites. It combines great taste with a unique planned meal approach.
Unique Planned Meal Approach
I stress balanced meals, using the guidelines I outline in my program. This recipe uses my best practices of combining the right amount of carbohydrates, protein and fat. The reason? The right balance of foods slows digestion and gives you a steady release of energy – you feel full longer and eat less. And, oh-by-the-way, you have more energy and vitality!
I use only grass-fed beef and organic veggies to further add to the healthiness of this meal.
Recipe – Serves 4
Ingredients – Meat, Topping and Sides:
- 4 Grass-fed beef tenderloin filets – about 6 oz. each and 1 ¼” thick
- Grapeseed oil for grilling
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Medallions Topping with Lemon, Parsley & Tarragon Clarified Butter:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted clarified butter, softened (Ghee)
- 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp shallot or green onion finely chopped
- 4 Portobello mushrooms , stems removed
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, ¼ of stem removed from bottoms
- 4 firm, ripe tomatoes (not overly ripe or they will fall apart when you grill them), cut in half around the middle.
- Grapeseed oil for grilling, sea salt and pepper to season and fresh chopped parsley to sprinkle on top.
NOTE: You can substitute Sides and still have a balanced meal. While I’ve shown grilled asparagus, portobello mushrooms and tomatoes, you can substitute zucchini, yellow squash, red bell peppers, fennel, etc. or a mixed salad.
1. Start with the Topping first:
- In a small bowl, combine all the topping ingredients
- Using the back of a fork, mash and stir until evenly distributed
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Optional: You can form the topping into four balls for a pretty presentation.
2. Meat & Veggies – Cooking procedure:
- Allow the beef to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling to ensure even cooking. Trim them nicely for presentation.
- Meanwhile, get your veggie sides ready and then preheat your grill on high.
- Brush all veggies with grapeseed oil and season with sea salt & pepper.
- Lightly brush or spray both sides of beef with oil and season both sides with sea salt & pepper
- Place Portobello mushrooms, cap side down on grill, same time as meat. (Do not turn over mushrooms. They are done when the meat is done)
- Place beef over Direct High Heat (450°-550°F) for 4-5 minutes a side for medium rare – medium, which is the best tasting to eat. Do Not overcook! It continues to cook through after taking off the grill.
- Half way through cooking beef (after 4 minutes) add the tomatoes cut side down and the asparagus on the grill.
Cover the grill and let cook for about 4 minutes. (turn over asparagus after 2 minutes)
- Everything is done! Use a metal spatula to lift the tomatoes off of the grill for serving cut side up. Use tongs to get everything else off the grill.
- On 4 serving plates, place mushroom down first, season with salt & pepper and then place the beef on top.
- Now place on the side, tomatoes and arrange asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with just a little more salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Top each beef medallion with a spoonful of herb butter and serve.
Enjoy your meal! For more meal ideas and/or information about the Eating for Vitality Diet, come to our website: www.EatingForVitalityDiet.com